Ava Wirth is an up-and-coming oboist who has been making a name for herself in solo competitions around the state of Ohio. These include being a finalist in the 2018 BGSU Concerto Competition, an honorable mention in the 2019 Tuesday Musical Solo Competition Woodwind Division, and finally, winning the 2019 New Albany Symphony Orchestra (NASO) Concerto Competition Senior Division.
As a soloist, Ava has performed across Michigan and Ohio. As the winner of the NASO Concerto Competition, she gave the Ohio premiere of Oscar Navarro’s Legacy Concerto for oboe with the NASO Orchestra at the Jeanne B McCoy Center for the Arts. She has also performed as a soloist with the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) New Music Ensemble at the BGSU New Music Festival two years in a row. With this ensemble, she performed works by Pulitzer Prize winner Aaron Jay Kernis and Georgi Dimitrov.
These experiences with the New Music Festival have given Ava an open mind about her musical choices. She appreciates the roots of the oboe with the standard compositions of Bach and Mozart, but pushes the limits of the instrument with pieces by virtuosic composers like Antonio Pasculli and new works by modern composers such as Nigel Westlake. In 2019, Ava headed a project to get a piano reduction made of Scott McCallister’s Grunge Concerto.
Ava has taken part in ensembles internationally. From Interlochen’s Kresge Auditorium to the mountainous Trento, Italy, she has been a part of the performance. She has worked with the Perrysburg Symphony, Josh Groban Orchestra, Detroit Chamber Orchestra, Music Academy International Symphony Orchestra, the Michigan Philharmonic, the BGSU Wind Symphony, the
BGSU Philharmonic, and the DePaul Symphony Orchestra. In 2018, Ava was featured as principal oboe on the BGSU Wind Symphony CD Trends: New Music For Wind Band, Vol. 1.
As a chamber performer, she has performed in a range of ensembles, including a flute and oboe duet, woodwind quintets, the Fifth Circle Reed Quintet, and the more adventurous open instrumentation ensemble, The Blank Experiment, which she is currently a member of.
During the summer of 2020 Ava worked with composer Adam Kennaugh on his project “Seven Minutes of Music in Seven Days”. She plans to release a recording of his new piece for solo oboe, “You’re Here Because Someone Won a Fight With a Rock” in August 2021. She was invited to travel in the Spring of 2021 to the Erin Arts Centre on the Isle of Man to participate in the Barbirolli International Oboe Competition.
In her free time, Ava enjoys tending to her succulents and watching comedy movies. She earned a BM from Bowling Green State University with Dr. Nermis Mieses and is currently pursuing her MM from DePaul University in the fall studying with Alex Klein.
● Venues Interlochen, Little Caesars Arena, Orchestra Hall, Van Andel Arena,Jeanne B McCoy Community Center for the Arts, Germany, Denmark, Austria, Italy ● Community + Education
● Awards + Comps, etc School of Music Award, from DePaul University (2020), Music Talent Award, from Bowling Green State University (2016), Detroit Symphony Orchestra Civic Youth Ensembles Scholarship (2016), Joan Paull Memorial Award, from the Royal Oak Musicale (2016), Advanced to the Second Round, The 5th annual Barbirolli International Oboe Competition and Festival (Round Two April 2021), 3rd Place, Senior Division, Tuesday Musical Scholarship Competition, Fantasia sull’opera Polito di Donizetti by Pasculli, Oboe Concerto in F by Krommer, Legacy Oboe Concerto by Oscar Navarro (2019), Honorable Mention, BGSU Douglas Wayland Chamber Competition Fifth Circle Reed Quintet (2019), First Place, New Albany Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition Senior Division, Legacy Oboe Concerto by Oscar Navarro (2019), Finalist, BGSU 2018 Concerto Competition, Legacy Oboe Concerto by Oscar Navarro (2018), First Place, BGSU Double Reed Day College Division Solo Competition, Four Personalities by Alyssa Morris (2018), Runner Up, BGSU Douglas Wayland Chamber Competition- Fifth Circle Reed Quintet (2018), First Runner Up, BGSU Double Reed Day College Division Solo Competition, Oboe Concerto by Vaughan Williams (2017), BGSU Pro Musica International Travel Grant (2018)
● Composers Pasculli, Dorati, Bach, Mozart, McCallister
● Ensembles The Fifth Circle, Josh Groban Orchestra, Detroit Chamber Orchestra, Michigan Philharmonic, Perrysburg Symphony, New Albany Symphony Orchestra, BGSU WS and Philharmonic
● Recording Projects 2018 BGSU Wind Symphony CD Trends: New Music For Wind Band, Vol. 1.,
● Upcoming Projects “7 minutes of music in 7 days” with Adam Kennaugh, Barbirolli
● Unusual Bio Began playing at the age of 10 because she missed instrument fitting and the oboe and french horn were left. She thought that the oboe was easier…